A kāfir (كافر ; plural كفّار kuffār) is a disbeliever, someone who rejects Allah and who does not believe in Muhammad as the final messenger of Allah. Although Christians and Jews are called the People of the Book (أهل الكتاب ahl al-kitab), they qualify as disbelievers according to the Qur'an. The word "kafir" can be offensive to non-Muslims, as it has roots meaning "concealer" and "ingrate" implying that non-Muslims are liars. It is also often used by Muslims as an extremely offensive curse word. Other terms which are used to refer to non-Muslims include "faasiq" (sinner, corrupt) and "munafiq" (hypocrite).
 How to Become a Kafir
Call on anyone other than Allah (i.e. for intercession).
Sacrifice to anyone other than Allah.
Hate Islam or anything Islamic.
Joke about Islam or anything Islamic.
66. Make no excuse. Ye have disbelieved after your (confession of) belief. If We forgive a party of you, a party of you We shall punish because they have been guilty.
Disbelieve in any of the Messengers.
Judge by any other law aside from Islamic law.
Forbid what Allah has made lawful, or make lawful what Allah has forbidden.
Believe in any other religion.
Give assistance to disbelievers against Muslims.
Disbelieve in Muhammad thereby rejecting Islam.
 See Also
- Non-Muslims - A hub page that leads to other articles related to Non-Muslims
- A version of this page is also available in the following languages: French. For additional languages, see the sidebar on the left.
 External Links
- Kuf (Disbelief) - Twenty-five Acts of Kuf That Nullify One's Islam According to Quran and Sunnah - Muslim Website
- "...Kafir: Literally means "a disbeliever". In Islam it refers to one who rejects Allah and who does not believe in Muhammad sallallahu alayhi wa sallam as the final messenger of Allah...." - Islamic Glossary
- "...kafir noun (pl=kuffar) 1. (Islam) infidel, Infidel, pagan, non-believer; a non-Muslim aside from ahl al-kitab (Christians, Jews, etc.). 2. (Islam) Infidel, pagan, non-believer; any non-Muslim. Ref: Shaykh Al-Islam ibn Taymiyyah (Rahimullah) v27 p264: "Whosoever does not forbid people from the deen of the Jews and Christians after the prophethood of the messenger Muhammad (saw) nor declares them kafir nor hates them, he is not a Muslim by the consensus of ALL Muslims, their scholars and the general public."..."AllWords.com - kafir
- ""...the permissive people, who do not believe in any command or prohibition at all and refer to the Divine will and decree as an excuse for their evil deeds, are worse off than the Jews, Christians and Arab mushrikeen, because even though the latter are kaafirs, they still believe in some kind of command and prohibition..." - Atheism is a greater sin than shirk - Islam Q&A, Fatwa No. 113901
- "...But it is not permissible to marry her, as she is still a Kafir (non-Muslim) and has not yet embraced Islam wholeheartedly without any doubt...." - Thinking of marrying an atheist - Dr. Abdullah Al-faqih, Islam Web, Fatwa No. 88328, July 21, 2004
- "...This is something that is well known among the Muslims, and they are unanimously agreed that the Christians are kaafirs, and even that those who do not regard them as kaafirs are also kaafirs..." - Qur'an, Hadith and Scholars:People of the Book