Currently residing in Brunei, he was schooled in the United Kingdom, and obtained his PhD degree in French literature at Columbia University in New York. He taught at the State University of New York at Stony Brook for 2 years and in 1997 moved to Damascus where he studied the Islamic disciplines for 9 years.
He is a hadith expert (muhaddith), recognized as one of the world’s leading authorities on the Shari’ah, who was formerly a teacher of Fiqh at SunniPath, an online Islamic Academy, and now runs the Living Islam (livingislam.org) website.
In 2009, he was listed amongst the inaugural "500 most influential Muslims in the world," and was referred to as "one of the clearest voices of traditional Islam in the West".
Like Shaykh Kabbani, Shaykh Haddad is also a vocal opponent of Salafi fundamentalism and has condemned the Islamic Circle of North America (ICNA), the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA), and the World Assembly of Muslim Youth which has alleged ties to al Qaeda.
- Refutation of Modern Apologetics Against Aisha's Age
- Islamic Clerics - A hub page that leads to other articles related to Islamic Clerics
- Living Islam (website of Shaykh Gibril Fouad Haddad)
- Our Mother A'isha's Age At The Time Of Her Marriage to The Prophet - Shaykh Gibril Haddad's unanswered reply to Moiz Amjad
- Edited by Prof. John Esposito and Prof. Ibrahim Kalin - The 500 Most Influential Muslims in the World (P. 94) - The Royal Islamic Strategic Studies Centre, 2009
- Shaykh Gibril Haddad - Sacred Knowledge, accessed May 6, 2011
- Gibril Fouad Haddad - Becoming Muslim Through Reading Surah Al-Fatihah - Al-Furqaan Foundation, January 28, 1997
- Omar Tufail - Interview with Gibril Fouad Haddad - Living Islam, April 10, 2004
- The Refutation of him who attributes direction to Allah - Kitaabun, accessed May 6, 2011
- Shaykh Gibril Haddad - SunniPath, accessed May 3, 2011
- Shaykh Muhammad Hisham Kabbani - 200 Years of New Kharijism: the Ongoing Revision of Islam - Islamic Supreme Council of America
- Stephen Schwartz - Wahhabis in America - Islam Daily, February 26, 2005
- Al Qaeda linked World Assembly of Muslim Youth (WAMY) Jihad through Da'wa group working with Novib/Oxfam on Somali 'educational' initiatives - Militant Islam Monitor, October 16, 2006
- OARDEC - Unclassified Summary of Evidence for Administrative Review Board in the case of Ameur, Mammar - United States Department of Defense, July 25, 2005, pp. 53–55